Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A lesson in humility

As a writer, I've done hundreds of interviews over the years. Not thousands, because I'm not quite that old yet, but hundreds? Easily.
I'm used to subjects who revel in seeing their names in print, who adore the recognition and the "I'm somebody" feeling they get from being featured.

Since joining academia several years back, I think I've actually met more of those types than when I was a journalist. Imagine my surprise when a professor walked into my office last week and taught me what true humility means.

I featured her in the faculty section of the alumni magazine I produce for our school. She was carrying a color copy of the pages of her article, marked in a few places with a red pen. We went over a few run-of-the-mill revisions and then she pointed to this quote, which she'd circled with a deep crimson flourish:

"Judy was an ideal person for it. She knows all about To Kill A Mockingbird and all about the Bible."

She removed her glasses, sighed. "I know that's what he said," she began. "But I really would like to change it. I just don't - it doesn't - I cannot let him say that."

She was stumbling. I was intrigued. Most people jump at the chance to be referred to as an authority on any subject in print.

"I know it's what he said, or you wouldn't have written it," she said. "But I'm just not comfortable with it. Can we maybe say 'is a student of the Bible?' I just can't - I mean, it goes against humility - I study it but I cannot claim to know all about the Bible. I just can't."



I stared at her. She's one of those professors with slightly graying hair that could put her anywhere from late 40s to mid-60s. She speaks in a true East Tennessee accent - hard on her vowels and easy on consonants - if she doesn't skip them altogether. I kept looking at her, forgetting to speak, wondering how I had missed the strong air of goodness around her up to that point.

"I can talk with him if you like, make sure it's okay," she went on, when I didn't speak. "I'll send him a note. I'm sure he'll be okay with it. I just want to change that line."

Somehow, I found my voice.

"That's fine, Judy," I said. "You let him know. I'll change it. I understand."
I made a checkmark beside the circle and smiled at her.

She smiled back.




No comments:

Post a Comment